Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Addicted to Violence

This isn't a post about our experiences here, although it certainly applies in Honduras as violence seems to be a part of the culture for young men here. Three years ago, a friend gave me a small but powerful book by Parker Palmer called Let Your Life Speak. Then a few days ago I saw this powerful interview with him over at Mike Todd's blog:


It's easy to stand back and condemn violence in others. For example, I could piously criticize the revenge killings that seem almost commonplace in Honduras or the role that America's military plays in the world.

But Parker Palmer's words remind me that the violence issue is much broader, deeper, and more personal than simply war and security. My daily choices about the food I buy, the trash I produce, and the way I treat my neighbours and family are part of the same addiction. His "addiction" descriptor reminds me that to live as a peace-maker, I need to wake up to the problem of violence in myself. I need to daily admit my own lifelong struggle with this addiction.
--
By the way, lots of rain here...and we are now on the west end of the island trying to enjoy the beach!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home